To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Resolved] NEED A REVISED CHECKER PLEASE-GC80R30 CANADIAN CHALLENGE THE PRAIRIES GOLDEN OLDIES!

a Checker was provided and the Cache was submitted for review.......

the Reviewer responded with the following...........CAN #3 BE DONE??

After some consultation and consideration, here are the changes that you'll need to make this happen. The first two are easy.

1) In your description, identify the criteria used to identify the 'oldest' cache. Was it placed date or was it published date? (or something else?)

2) Change the criteria to read 'current oldest or former oldest' caches. This protects anyone if an oldest cache happens to get archived before they can make it to sign in on the challenge.

3) See if you can get the challenge checker to include 'former oldest and current oldest'. This would be ideal, otherwise, you'll need to look at a hybrid of the current checker and holding a list of 'former oldest' that cachers can compare to.
Re: NEED A REVISED CHECKER PLEASE-GC80R30 CANADIAN CHALLENGE THE PRAIRIES GOLDEN OLDIES!
November 27, 2018 07:29AM
The checkers can only find the current oldest cache. It has no information on historical oldest caches. IOW it doesn't know what the previous oldest cache was.
ok, thank you, I will let the Reviewer know this!
Re: NEED A REVISED CHECKER PLEASE-GC80R30 CANADIAN CHALLENGE THE PRAIRIES GOLDEN OLDIES!
November 27, 2018 09:45AM
The checker accepts ALL older caches for that reason.
now I'm really confused LOL!

So, if the OLDEST cache is archived, the Checker WILL find the next oldest in the province?
November 27, 2018 10:03AM
Yes, it'll check for the current oldest caches. However, as arisoft mentioned, it will also allow finds on archived oldest caches too. I misunderstood your original question.
November 27, 2018 10:12AM
freddycougar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> now I'm really confused LOL!
>
> So, if the OLDEST cache is archived, the Checker
> WILL find the next oldest in the province?

The exact description is: "The oldest currently active cache or an older inactive cache."
Another CANADIAN Challenge designed to acknowledge those cachers who have made Canada a caching priority and to encourage those who haven't yet found certain caches in certain provinces to add them to their next caching trip if possible!

The challenge is to find the PRAIRIES' GOLDEN OLDIES.......

THE GOLDEN OLDIES I refer to are the THREE OLDEST CACHES IN THE THREE PRAIRIE PROVINCES!!!!!!!

They are:

ALBERTA-GCA6-Strathcona Wilderness 1-HIDDEN November 4, 2000

SASKATCHEWAN-GC14F-Sask-cache-one-HIDDEN January 7, 2001

MANITOBA-GC21C-C1BUA - cache 1n a builtup area-HIDDEN Feb. 5, 2001

Thank you!
Re: NEED A CHECKER PLEASE-GC80R30 CANADIAN CHALLENGE THE PRAIRIES GOLDEN OLDIES!
November 26, 2018 09:05AM
> THREE OLDEST CACHES IN THE THREE PRAIRIE PROVINCES!!!!!!!

This is possible but it is not allowed to make a challenge from a list of caches as you did.

You can select which provinces are counted in and a checker can verify that a player has found the oldest cache from three of them. Older archived finds also qualifies.
Re: NEED A CHECKER PLEASE-GC80R30 CANADIAN CHALLENGE THE PRAIRIES GOLDEN OLDIES!
November 26, 2018 09:29AM
ok, thank you...I'm guessing the Reviewer would tell me this too?

I can amend the cache listing, no problem....I still would like a checker please and thanks.
November 26, 2018 09:43AM
Here is the checker

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC80R30/38578

Please test and tell us whether it is suitable for you.
November 26, 2018 09:47AM
And be warned, the reviewer may still insist that this is a list of caches even it is not.
November 26, 2018 10:01AM
Sorry arisoft, I did not see your replies

But I have a question on the new script. Can you allow owners: true
November 26, 2018 10:06AM
Currently it does not allow owned as found but it would be a good to add.
November 26, 2018 10:09AM
Ok, I remove my checker
November 26, 2018 12:45PM
I added the "owned" feature to the checker.

Now the owners of the oldest caches may fullfill requirements without need to find the own cache. It is important here because all regions must qualify.
November 26, 2018 09:53AM
Here is the link to the checker https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC80R30/38579

Please test and reply

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2018 10:11AM by vogelbird. (view changes)
November 26, 2018 06:41PM
thank you very much! the Checker worked for me and I have submitted the cache for Review...........I left the 3 caches listed in the description as I would like to get the Reviewer's opinion on this too........I didn't realize this was a 'no no'.....thanks for letting me know this!
November 26, 2018 06:55PM
The reviewer will tell you that a challenge based on elements under the cache owner’s primary control is not acceptable.
You can read this from the guidelines section "11. Specific Lists"
https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=206
A specific list is absolutely under your control and the checker is not verifying that caches in your list have been found.
I wouldnt give any reason to suspect that the intention is to find just these three caches.
November 26, 2018 06:58PM
thank you....I have no control over those three caches...they were the first hidden in the 3 provinces and remain alive and well and maintained.....
If one or more ever gets archived, will the checker automatically go to the next oldest?
November 26, 2018 07:23PM
You have no control until you make the list because then you have the control of the list.

Checker is using the oldest active caches from the current cache database, not a specific list.

Currently it allows disabled caches. It may be a problem because you can not qualify when a cache is disabled.

It is possible to add an option for skipping disabled caches from the criteria.
November 26, 2018 07:58PM
I added this "skip disabled" feature to the checker. If the oldest cache is disabled then the oldest active cache can be used instead. This way the challenge is always possible to qualify despite of any disabled or archived caches. This is an optional feature to ensure the best opportunities to get the challenge accepted.
November 26, 2018 10:13PM
thank you so much! this is awesome and very much (tu)appreciated(:P)(tu)
November 27, 2018 04:49AM
Hi Again

A bit of a snag here..............I can do the first two points but I need help with #3

IS THIS POSSIBLE and can you do a new Checker for this? This is the Reviewer's response.........

After some consultation and consideration, here are the changes that you'll need to make this happen. The first two are easy.

1) In your description, identify the criteria used to identify the 'oldest' cache. Was it placed date or was it published date? (or something else?)

2) Change the criteria to read 'current oldest or former oldest' caches. This protects anyone if an oldest cache happens to get archived before they can make it to sign in on the challenge.

3) See if you can get the challenge checker to include 'former oldest and current oldest'. This would be ideal, otherwise, you'll need to look at a hybrid of the current checker and holding a list of 'former oldest' that cachers can compare to.
November 27, 2018 09:19AM
> After some consultation and consideration, here
> are the changes that you'll need to make this
> happen. The first two are easy.

This is very promising because it was not denied immediatelly!

> 1) In your description, identify the criteria used
> to identify the 'oldest' cache. Was it placed date
> or was it published date? (or something else?)

You can choose this. Currently checker is using publishing date but if you want I can switch it to placed date which is displayed at the top of the cache description. When two caches have the same date the earlier cache-ID is considered older.

> 2) Change the criteria to read 'current oldest or
> former oldest' caches. This protects anyone if an
> oldest cache happens to get archived before they
> can make it to sign in on the challenge.

This is important. The checker always accepts ANY older cache if the player has found it.

> 3) See if you can get the challenge checker
> to include 'former oldest and current oldest'.
> This would be ideal, otherwise, you'll need to
> look at a hybrid of the current checker and
> holding a list of 'former oldest' that cachers can
> compare to.

It is already done that way.
ok thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login