To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: First checker request

[Resolved] First checker request
October 15, 2019 12:31AM
I've volunteered to place 5 of the caches along a Challenge trail in Central New York and my friends are planning to have Project-GC checkers on each of the 52 caches on the trail.
I suspect that this checker exists already, because my challenge is a fairly easy one, but I'm new to this task and I'm not sure how to proceed with attaching a checker to my cache page.

For GC8EX53, the challenge is to have found a cache in at least 10 US states.

Please let me know if there is additional information that I need to provide...and any advice is very welcome!!
October 15, 2019 12:34AM
Here's a link to your checker.

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8EX53/45700

Please test and reply.

To answer the other part about being unsure how to link the checker to your cache page, when you click on the above link, you'll find a button that says "LINK" on the right side.

When you click on that, it'll provide you 3 different blocks of HTML code with corresponding photos on the left side to show you what the HTML block will add to your cache page. Choose the one that suits your needs, and paste it into the HTML code of your cache page. Just be sure to do this before submitting for review.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2019 12:37AM by OnABoat. (view changes)
October 15, 2019 12:41AM
Wow, many thanks!! That was fast and painless. I haven't finished up the other 4 caches yet but now I'm less worried about working on them.

One question about this checker though, one of my qualifiers was actually the District of Columbia. Would you advise that I change the wording of my challenge to include that fact?

PrairieRose
October 15, 2019 12:47AM
So the checker is based on a set of data for "US Regions" of which the District of Columbia is considered one.

It's up to you how you'd like to present your challenge. It would meet current challenge guidelines either way:

Find ONE (1) cache in a minimum of 10 US States (District of Columbia is NOT considered a state for this challenge.)

or

Find ONE (1) cache in a minimum of 10 US States (District of Columbia IS considered a state/US region for this challenge.)

Whichever way you decide to proceed, just let me know and the checker *should* be able to be updated accordingly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2019 12:47AM by OnABoat. (view changes)
October 15, 2019 12:52AM
That makes sense. Here's what my cache page will say for the challenge information:

The challenge for this cache is that you must have found at a cache in at least 10 U.S. states (the District of Columbia IS considered a state/US region for this challenge).  This is a good one for cachers just starting out on challenges.
October 15, 2019 12:51AM
Another tip:

You don't have to be 100% finished with creating your challenge cache page for us to create a checker. If you're planning on hiding a challenge cache, you can create the geocache page, select UNKNOWN TYPE cache, type in your challenge title (it can be changed later - just so you know which GC goes with which challenge at this point), then we can make the checkers for you to input into your page as you build them.

Sometimes this can be a time saver for you as some checkers require a bit more work than others. We can spend time working on the checker at that point while you're building the rest of your cache page and placing your cache. Then all that's left is submitting for review.
October 15, 2019 01:45AM
Again, many thanks, OnABoat. The cache has been submitted for review. With luck, I'll have time to work on the other 4 this week.
October 15, 2019 12:38AM
Feel free to post a thread with the remaining 4 GC codes and requirements for the other caches that require challenges. I'd be happy to take a look at those for you as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login