To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Addition to an existing script

[Resolved] Addition to an existing script
October 15, 2019 01:17PM
Hi, I am creating a pair of challenges.
The first is: GC8DWD6 - 8 X 12 Monthly Variety Challenge
I know that I can clone the checker from GC83ZYM - Monthly Variety Challenge for this one.
The second is: GC8EGH8 - 9 X 12 Monthly Variety Challenge, which just requires the addition of CITO to the existing checker shown above.
Would it be possible for you to modify the script for me please? (If it doesn't already exist.)
Regards, Rod - n0w0rries
October 15, 2019 01:46PM
Just to clarify,

You only want it to be the 8 cache types listed? And 9 cache types listed?

There is an existing script that exists to find X number of types in each calendar month, but that script allows mega events, GPS maze, etc. Based on the existing challenge you quoted it looks like you just want to use:

Traditional Cache
Multi-Cache
Mystery Cache
EarthCache
Virtual Cache
Letterbox Hybrid
Wherigo Cache
Event Cache
CITO Event Cache
October 15, 2019 02:00PM
The existing script used by the existing challenge you quoted classifies a CITO event as well as MEGA and GPS maze events as "EVENTS".

So the 8 cache types actually include

Traditional Cache
Multi-Cache
Mystery Cache
EarthCache
Virtual Cache
Letterbox Hybrid
Wherigo Cache
Event Cache (Event, Mega, Giga, CITO, Maze, etc.) <--- Multiple types in one bucket

So there may be some overlap on the two challenges even with a new script developed. One will count CITOs in the 8 types, the other won't count CITOs in the first 8 and will make it a separate type. Might be a bit odd.

The other script I mentioned earlier would allow you to make the rules simple as "find 9 unique cache types for each calendar month of the year (does not need to be one year)" and any combination of 9 unique types would be allowable.
October 15, 2019 11:31PM
OnABoat
The other script I mentioned earlier would allow you to make the rules simple as "find 9 unique cache types for each calendar month of the year (does not need to be one year)" and any combination of 9 unique types would be allowable.

Does this example treat each month individually, or each type.
I would like for each unique cache type to be found for each month of the year (does not need to be the same year), rather than any mixture of eight (or nine) unique types per month.
October 16, 2019 12:47AM
Well there's more than 9 unique types of geocaches.

There's a script out there already that allows a slight modification via tag that you could set how many unique cache types a cacher must find for each calendar month.

There's also an older script out there that specifically defines 8 cache types that must be found, but that script includes CITO events in the original 8 under the "events" type.

Take a look at these checkers and see if this would suit your challenge. If not, post back with what you'd like to see updated and one of us will see what changes can be made.

These 2 are built from the same script:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8DWD6/45730

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8EGH8/45729
October 16, 2019 04:08AM
Neither of these challenges (https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8DWD6/45730 and https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8EGH8/45729) are quite what I have in mind.

I would like the finder to have a complete set of 12 Traditional, a complete set of 12 Multi, a complete set of 12 Mystery etc. until they have 8 complete sets - for the first challenge (GC8DWD6) and 9 complete sets - for the second challenge (GC8EGH8).
Each type to be treated as individuals, rather than grouping all "Event" types together. IE 12 Events, 12 CITO, 12 MEGA.
I'm happy to include all of the available types, even though it would be very difficult for most geocachers (in Australia) to achieve 12 MEGA or 12 Webcam types.
October 16, 2019 09:07AM
October 16, 2019 10:38AM
Yes, they are what I was after. Thank you both for your assistance. Much appreciated.
October 16, 2019 12:22PM
Thank you vogelbird! I removed the two test tags I made.

Glad we found the right thing for you n0w0rries! Happy caching!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login