To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Challenge checker: 9 difficulties / 9 terrains / 7 types in 9 caches

[Resolved] Challenge checker: 9 difficulties / 9 terrains / 7 types in 9 caches
September 28, 2020 07:46AM
Hi,

I'd like to create a new challenge cache - the Whole 9 Yards Challenge. This challenge asks cachers to find one of every difficulty, and one of every terrain, in no more than 9 caches. This is not limited to the diagonals of the DT matrix - any combination of DTs so that all 9 of them are covered in exactly 9 caches. In addition, there must be at least one traditional, one multi, one earth, one unknown, one letterbox, one virtual and one whereigo. Labs and any form of event cache are excluded.

For example
D1 / T5 earthcache
D1.5 / T4 unknown
D2 / T3 traditional
D2.5 / T2 multi
D3 / T1 whereigo
D3.5 / T4.5 virtual
D4 / T3.5 traditional
D4.5 / T2.5 multi
D5 / T1.5 letterbox

Is this possible please? If so, could I please have a checker built so I can assess how many people in the local area meet the challenge requirements.

Thanks,
OBC

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2020 09:25AM by oz_bean_counter. (view changes)
Re: New checker please :)
September 28, 2020 08:08AM
Geocache created - GC90MQF
September 28, 2020 12:25PM
I have seen this before by cannot find the a suitable script. I have marked it as a new script required unless somebody finds the old script.
September 30, 2020 08:29PM
Hi vogelbird,

While you've got the hood up (so to speak) - I had intended three new challenges, all based on the idea of requiring all 9 D's and all 9 T's in exactly 9 caches, but with additional requirements as below.

The first challenge (the challenge listed above) would require the 9x9 in 9 also contain at least 7 different types, the second challenge would require at least 8 different sizes*, the third challenge would require both 7 types and 8* sizes. All within exactly 9 caches.

*With cache sizes, there is the standard micro, small, regular, large, but then the "less than normal" virtual, other, not-chosen, unknown. Of the four less common sizes, should some be omitted from the challenge? I have a list where I personally can meet the challenge with all 8 sizes, but insight appreciated.

Thanks
October 08, 2020 10:51PM
Go Candice!
October 31, 2020 08:13AM
I have sort of created this.... I will let you try it and form your own opinion.

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC90MQF/55979

It specifies a 'minimum' of unique D & T.... (max of 9).... it also allows you specify a 'tertiary' field is....such as 'type' or 'size' and specify a minimum number of unique values for that tertiary field.

It seems to work, I have limited the types that can be used to "Traditional Cache", "Unknown Cache", "Multi-cache", "Letterbox Hybrid", "Virtual Cache", "Webcam Cache", "Project APE Cache", "Earthcache", "Wherigo Cache".

Interestingly, the checker favours keeping D & T the same.... it will pretty much output D = T if it can. When I increased the required minimum types to 7 I get this output for you and myself which demonstrates this quite well....

oz_bean_counter qualifies for this challenge

- D : 4.5, T : 4.5, Type: Traditional Cache, GC = GCGJ02
- D : 3.5, T : 3.5, Type: Multi-cache, GC = GC6XTR2
- D : 2.5, T : 2.5, Type: Wherigo Cache, GC = GC6NHMK
- D : 1.5, T : 1.5, Type: Virtual Cache, GC = GC7B7R6
- D : 1.0, T : 1.0, Type: Virtual Cache, GC = GC7B6N4
- D : 3.0, T : 2.0, Type: Letterbox Hybrid, GC = GC38HQ9
- D : 2.0, T : 4.0, Type: Earthcache, GC = GC7BT76
- D : 5.0, T : 3.0, Type: Unknown Cache, GC = GC3TQ3F
- D : 4.0, T : 5.0, Type: Unknown Cache, GC = GC55AZ1

GreyHams qualifies for this challenge

- D : 4.5, T : 4.5, Type: Unknown Cache, GC = GC2ZDFP
- D : 3.5, T : 3.5, Type: Traditional Cache, GC = GC4WYRQ
- D : 2.5, T : 2.5, Type: Wherigo Cache, GC = GC85KXE
- D : 1.5, T : 1.5, Type: Webcam Cache, GC = GC25B6
- D : 1.0, T : 1.0, Type: Virtual Cache, GC = GCA68D
- D : 3.0, T : 3.0, Type: Wherigo Cache, GC = GC4YRCK
- D : 2.0, T : 2.0, Type: Wherigo Cache, GC = GC7J29K
- D : 5.0, T : 5.0, Type: Multi-cache, GC = GC7090Y
- D : 4.0, T : 4.0, Type: Letterbox Hybrid, GC = GC87V1J
October 31, 2020 10:28PM
Very very much appreciate the code base development here. Being a learner, I checked out the code. Can we have a look at line 126 please?
if conf.tertiaryField ~= nill then

This works for the first two challenges I was intending to create...

The first challenge would require the 9x9 in 9 also contain at least 7 different types
The second challenge would require the 9x9 in 9 also contain at least 8 different sizes*

However for the third challenge...
The third challenge would require both the 9x9 in 9 also contain 7 types and 8* sizes. All within exactly 9 caches. An example table is provided below for how I quality for this third challenge.

Cache Type Size D T
GC8928Y Another side of Senso-ji Temple Virtual Virtual 1.0 1.5
GC5NQCB Happy Birthday Kieran Mailbox Small 1.5 2.0
GC48D Hydro Camp Traditional Not chosen 2.0 4.0
GC6NHMK Joining the Lost Tribe Whereigo Regular 2.5 2.5
GC3HRD6 Mt Tibrogargan Earthcache Not chosen 3.0 4.5
GC6MJR3 Chasing Butterflies Traditional Other 3.5 3.0
GC7FZ4G B is for ...? Traditional Other 4.0 1.0
GC63AER The Jig Unknown Micro 4.5 3.5
GC76MNE Maximum Multicache Large 5.0 5.0

I believe we would need to integrate conf.quatenaryField, which appears not to be used at this time? If possible, it would be brilliant to turn it on! My brain requires more coffee before I could work out the uniqueness test in the nested loops, but I'm happy to help out if useful?

*With cache sizes, there is the standard micro, small, regular, large, but then the "less than normal" virtual, other, not-chosen, unknown. Of the four less common sizes, I am aware that this may create unnecessary difficulty in meeting the challenge, and will need to tweak which sizes are included and which are omitted from the challenge.
November 01, 2020 06:41AM
es, you have accurately surmised that the script currently supports your first two challenges, but not the third. I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

So, you are happy with the output and how this works..... I will expand it to allow for additional fields (and rename them.... I had 'primary' & 'secondary' trying to be more generic, but it makes it less obvious what they are.... D & T).

If you provide me a GC code, I can create the 'size' challenge (with 7/8 sizes) so you can see which you prefer.
November 01, 2020 08:49AM
Ahh brilliant! The existing code base does do what I wanted, and I'm a happy lady.

Can we associate the full checker with GC90MQF please.

Really appreciate your help!
November 01, 2020 09:11AM
No worries, I will modify the script, probably tomorrow....and update the tag on the existing GC code checker
November 03, 2020 08:49AM
There are only 7 sizes recognised by the Project-GC system.... micro, small, regular, large, virtual, other, not-chosen. There is NO unknown size.

The updated script works for you (and me) if I select
- 9 unique D & T
- 7 types (it works for me on 8 as well)
- 7 sizes

The original checker URL is still valid.(for the min 7 types with unique DT). https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC90MQF/55979

Can you please give me GC codes for your other challenges (min 7 sizes, min 7 types and sizes)
November 03, 2020 09:00AM
Wahoo - legendary!

Here are the GCs along with a brief explanation of the requirements:
GC90MQF = 9DT, 7types
GC927BT = 9DT 7sizes
GC927BV = 9DT 7types 7sizes

Thanks!!!
November 03, 2020 09:05AM
Here are the other checkers.... let me know if you are happy with them. Small things like the output format can be easily changes, so don't be shy..... if I cant do it easily I will tell you :-)

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC927BT/56064

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC99999/56063
November 03, 2020 09:07AM
Hang on.... the second one is using my testing GC code GC99999.... let me copy the config, delete it and create a new tag
November 03, 2020 09:09AM
November 03, 2020 09:20AM
GreyHams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the correct link
>
> https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC927BV/56063

Brilliant :D. I think it works pretty well. I'll test it out with our local mob. Another hearty thank you - I appreciate the new script development. Hopefully you've had a bit of fun pulling this together :). Now the mind wanders to what else might be possible with the same base script!

Feel free to close this one out.

Thanks again,
OBC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login