To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: GCA0RNW - County Icon Challenge - Fibonacci 10

[Resolved] GCA0RNW - County Icon Challenge - Fibonacci 10
October 10, 2022 09:06PM
I hope this is possible. I would like the output to list the Fibonacci level achieved up to 15, which would continue past 89 to 144, 233, 377, 610. I don't want a list of counties, just the number of counties where the cache type was found. Also if it turns out that many local people meet the 10 I might ask to change it to 11. I'm pretty sure of 10 though.

Here is my write up - feel free to suggest better wording.

The challenge:

Find different cache types (icons) in enough counties to have your number of counties meet or exceed the Fibonacci sequence:

1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55, (89 for level 11). For level 10 you will need 10 different icons with 143 total finds. Your minimum number of counties will be 55 but since many counties don't provide an opportunity to find more than a few different icons most people will need more than 55 counties.

What is a county? US counties or their equivalent in any part of the world are acceptable. Sorry though, outer space is not a county.

What is a cache type? Anything except locationless caches, benchmarks, and lab caches - as of October 10, 2022 there are 18 types:

Traditional, Mystery/Unknown, Virtual, Earthcache, Multi, Letterbox Hybrid, Wherigo, Webcam, Project APE, Event, CITO, Community Celebration/Lost & Found, Mega-Event, Giga-Event, GPS Adventures Exhibit, Groundspeak HQ, HQ Block Party, HQ Celebration.

How about an example? - Here is one way to meet the challenge (people will have different cache types for the various Fibonacci numbers):

1 and 1 - Visit the GPS Adventures Exhibit in one county and attend a Giga-Event in the same or a different county.

2 - Find a webcam cache in two different counties.

3 - Find a wherigo in three different counties.

5 - Attend a Community Celebration or Lost & Found event in five different counties.

8 - Attend a regular event in eight different counties.

13 - Find a multi-cache in thirteen different counties.

21 - Find an earthcache in 21 different counties.

34 - Find a virtual cache in 34 different counties.

55 - Find an unknown/mystery cache in 55 different counties.

89 (for level 11) - Find a traditional cache in 89 different counties.
October 10, 2022 10:04PM
I can't think of any scripts that do something like this. A new one might be required, but possibly I'm wrong.

I have time tonight so I might just write it now.
October 10, 2022 10:20PM
Here is one that might be related
GC9QB77 5 county traditionals Challenge
October 10, 2022 10:26PM
Here is another that is related
GC9WDCC Nontraditional County Challenge
October 10, 2022 11:26PM
Unfortunately I don't think either of those will cut it.

But I have time now so I will write the script.
October 11, 2022 12:05AM
Here's one that checks up to 10:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges//72027

And this checks up to 15:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges//72029

Please let me know if this is satisfactory. Once you have decided on a final number (10 or 11), let me know, and I will edit the appropriate tag.
October 11, 2022 01:30AM
Those two checkers were just what I needed to get information on how many local people qualify at what level. It turned out no one at all qualified for level 15; only three were at level 14.
I will go with the level 10 and that checker output is perfect.
No hurry on this. I will be out of town for a couple of days.
Thanks so much! It has been interesting to me to see how hard it is to go up only one level.
October 11, 2022 01:32AM
Alright, fantastic.

Link to https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCA0RNW/72027 on your cache page.

I've deleted the 15 one, to clear clutter. But let me know if you ever need it back.
October 14, 2022 09:08PM
Thanks again! I have edited the cache page and I'm about to submit it for review.
Gratefully,
02Bhkn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login