To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: A special checker request for GC374Y2, if possible!

[Resolved] A special checker request for GC374Y2, if possible!
July 10, 2023 03:04PM
Dear Challenge Checker Team,

I hope this finds you well. I am reaching out to inquire whether it would be possible to create a checker for a grandfather challenge geocache, specifically the geocache with the code GC374Y2, titled "Challenge: Min 1.000 km og maks 10 caches i DK". Although these types of challenges are no longer allowed, I would like to explore the feasibility of having a checker for this geocache.

To provide you with the necessary information, I have outlined the challenge requirements below:

Let n be the number of caches found in Denmark within a calendar month.
Let c_i for i = 0, ..., n+1 represent the starting coordinates of the cache.
Specifically, for c_i where i belongs to {0, n+1}, it is stated that they indicate the last cache before the calendar month (i = 0) and the first cache after the calendar month (i = n+1). If no caches exist before or after the calendar month, then c_0 = c_1, and likewise, c_n = c_{n+1}.
Let d_i for i = 0, ..., n represent the distances between the n caches found in Denmark within the calendar month for qualification. In other words, |c_{i+1} - c_i| = d_i for i = 0, ..., n.
Let D be the total distance between the n caches found in Denmark.
Based on these requirements, the following equations summarize the criteria:

• Requirement: Country - Denmark
  • Requirement: Maximum of 10 cache finds in Denmark (n <= 10)
  • Requirement: Minimum total distance of 1,000 km (D >= 1,000)
  • Calculation of the total distance: D = d_0 + d_1 + ... + d_n
    Restriction on counting caches only if they are within Denmark: Caches found outside Denmark are excluded from the distance calculation.
  • Geocaching types that do NOT count: Lab Caches and Locationless (Reverse) Cache.
  • Geocaching types that count: Traditional Geocache, Mystery or Puzzle Caches, Multi-Cache, EarthCache, Letterbox Hybrid, Event Cache, Cache In Trash Out Event (CITO), Mega-Event Cache, Giga-Event Cache, Wherigo™ Cache, Geocaching HQ Geocache, GPS Adventures Maze Exhibit, Geocaching HQ Celebration, Geocaching HQ Block Party, Community Celebration Event, Virtual Cache, Webcam Cache, and Project A.P.E. Cache.

I understand that this type of challenge is no longer officially recognized, but I am hoping that it might still be possible to create a checker to verify completion. I greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide in this matter....

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Naesby
July 10, 2023 04:44PM
This is definitely possible, bmuzzin or DrAcorn or I can write a custom script.

Question 1.

Let's suppose that n = 4 (so max 4 caches may be used to qualify). Also, let's suppose that a user found these six caches in the numbered order in a month:

a. Is the user allowed to "skip" finds? That is, is picking the route 1-2-5-6 valid? Or must the user pick 4 caches in order, ie. 1-2-3-4.
b. Or is the user not allowed to find more than 4 caches in the one month? So this is invalid since 6 > 4.

Your description would seem to suggest (b) since you say "Let n be the number of caches found in Denmark within a calendar month" and later "Maximum of 10 cache finds in Denmark (n <= 10)". But that seems like a very strange restriction so I want to confirm.

Question 2.

Do you know of any other similar challenges? (When we set up the script for yours, we will write it so that we can create a checker for the other cache(s) as well.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2023 04:46PM by Hügh. (view changes)
July 10, 2023 06:08PM
For question 1:
a. All caches found within the specified month count, but they must be located within Denmark and belong to one of the allowed geocaching types (excluding Lab Caches and Locationless (Reverse) Cache). The order of the finds is important, so it is not allowed to "skip" any finds. For example, the route 1-2-5-6 is not valid; caches must be found in numerical order, such as 1-2-3-4-5-6.

b. When assuming n=4, it is correct that having found six caches within a month would not qualify (6 > 4), so it would be invalid.

I can see that the description may seem a bit confusing, and I apologize for that. What I am trying to convey is that you can qualify with fewer than 10 finds. The number of caches, n, within the given month can be a maximum of 10 (n <= 10). So if a user finds 11 caches in Denmark within a month, they would not qualify.
AND then there's the distance requirement that needs to be met as well!

As mentioned earlier, such a challenge would never be approved, as it is highly restrictive due to the maximum limit of 10 caches.

For question 2: No, I am not aware of any similar challenges.

I hope this makes sense. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

I am also attaching a picture from the cache description where I have tried to visually explain the requirement.
July 10, 2023 06:10PM
That makes sense. I will start writing a one-off script then since I do not think this will apply to much else.
July 10, 2023 07:45PM
I think this does the trick.

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC374Y2/79264

If a user qualifies, it prints the list of qualifying caches, as well as a map:

If a user does not qualify, it tells them how they can qualify in the current month:

July 11, 2023 09:40AM
It looks really great, and I think I will use it.

Thank you for the excellent work and for being able to program it based on my messy requirements - I am very grateful.
July 11, 2023 10:08AM
Just a note, the cache page says that final coordinates must be used - checkers only have access to posted coords, so these will be used (although it will probably make little difference in most cases :)
July 11, 2023 11:07AM
Thank you for pointing that out, and it's something I am aware of.
I have also come across a few cases where users are no longer qualified due to the discrepancy between the starting and final coordinates. However, it should not be a big problem in the future because of the 3-kilometer (2-mile) boundary (except for multicaches). In the old days, some caches had their final location far from the starting point.
I am currently in the process of making some adjustments to the description to ensure there are no problems regarding this matter.
Once again, thank you for your help.
July 22, 2023 05:42PM
Dear Checker crew,

I have one more request on the challenge checker.
Is it possible to exclude one specific cache? If so, I would like to remove this one in a check: GC19GK9.

Best, Naesby.
July 23, 2023 02:03PM
Sure, that one can be removed.

I will also remove all caches in HQ's Official "crazy cache" list: https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists/BMAFMJR, as well as all "Locationless (Reverse) Cache" from the early 2000s (though if I am not mistaken none had their posted coordinates in Denmark).
July 23, 2023 02:09PM
That sound good, I am very grateful for that.

We have not had any of those you write about but put them one anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login