To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: 6 New England States Challenge Checker

[Resolved] 6 New England States Challenge Checker
September 15, 2023 02:59AM
This is my first time doing this so please be patient with me.

I need a challenge checker for finding 1 cache of any type in all 6 New England States. The checker will be for challenge cache GCAE77N. I went to the section for premade challenge checkers and located the checker I needed. It was GC5NCHX New England Challenge (United States).

I selected the clone tag option. I put the GCAE77N number in the proper then clicked the clone button. This was the first time I had attempted this function. When I did, an error message came up that said 'GC-Code already seems to be tagged with a checker.' I have no idea how to proceed from here since no code came up for me to copy before the error message appeared.

Please advise as to how I can get the challenge checker I need.
September 15, 2023 04:32AM
Interesting. I can't find a checker against that GC code. Did you perhaps previously clone a checker and have it removed? I understand that doesn't clear the flag for the clone mechanism.

I've copied the config to a new tag: https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCAE77N/81032
Please confirm this is suitable.
September 15, 2023 11:07AM
@sumbloke: the one that they cloned is GCAE77N/81031.

@Deadliest Cachers: I've disabled the one you cloned (81031) in favour of the one that sumbloke linked above (81032). You can use that one in your cache description. You probably got a notification about this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2023 11:09AM by Hügh. (view changes)
September 15, 2023 11:18AM
In answer to your first question, yesterday is the first time I've tried to acquire a challenge checker. Apparently, I did something wrong. Other than clicking the clone button, I don't know what it was.

The checker you copied to a new tag works for my New England Challenge. How do I proceed now so the tag has the proper New England Challenge title and shows my cache name as tagged by?
September 15, 2023 11:31AM
The title will be automatically populated when the cache is published. It will say "tagged by sumbloke" because I created the tag.
September 15, 2023 11:44AM
That's fine. So am I correct in assuming that I can put a challenge checker with someone else's 'tagged by' name on my cache page for this challenge and there will be no problem? Last night when I ran into the cloning problem, I copied the link from the volgelbird checker, the one I was trying to clone, and put it onto my cache page. Will that checker continue to work when my page is published?
September 15, 2023 12:48PM
Use the one I provided. The one you were trying to clone is tagged to a different cache so you shouldn't be linking to it on your page. There are a few reasons for this:
  • Although the criteria are the same at the moment, the other cache could change it's criteria at any time, which would have impacts on your cache.
  • The checker could be disabled due to the tagged cache, which would impact your users.
  • Your reviewer should not publish your cache without a checker which is correctly tagged to it.

And you're correct, the "tagged by..." line doesn't have to match the cache owner (and for challenges with unique criteria is unlikely to).
September 15, 2023 02:16PM
I will use the tag you made. Am I correct in saying that I just copy and paste the link to the tag you made into my cache page builder?
September 16, 2023 12:03AM
If you go to that page and click on the "Link..." button it will give you three options for HTML to inset on your page. I recommend using the third one.
September 16, 2023 11:37AM
I put the link onto my cache page and have sent it in for review. Thank you for your assistance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login