To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: New checker for GCAFRG4

[Awaiting feedback] New checker for GCAFRG4
October 27, 2023 02:05AM
Greetings! I am working on a series of 50 challenges, one for each of the 50 U.S. states. They mostly all follow the same format "Find ____ in 5 different states," but there are a few variations.

CHALLENGE FOR GCAFRG4 - Find caches that total over 10,000 favorite points from 5 different states.

(This challenge requires cachers to find 5 caches, each in a different state, that total 10,000 favorite points. For the purpose of this challenge, locationless caches do NOT count, and neither do caches in D.C.)

If possible, can the output for the checker look like https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCAFRFG/82172

THANKS!
October 28, 2023 03:37AM
...new script required? Any taggers have any ideas?
October 28, 2023 03:53AM
Would it not be the same checker as https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCAFRGG/82227 but add all the favorite point values and compare that number to > 10,000 ?
October 28, 2023 04:00AM
The problem is that the checker is "dumb" and just takes the first cache found in each state with >1000 FP. But for this one the checker needs to be smart about the choice of cache from each state (ie. it needs to pick the one with the highest FP from each state.) Once it does that, it then has to pick the five states with the highest FP, for the highest possible total. Anything else might lead to a false-negative which is undesirable.

Unfortunately this is a bit awkward to fit into a checker... at least to me. vogelbird, when he wakes up, might have better ideas.
October 28, 2023 04:41AM
I tried today, and I couldn't come up with a way to tag my multichecker script to do it... I don't think it would be that hard to modify to do it, but it doesn't work out of the box.
October 29, 2023 02:09AM
I think this should do it:
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCAFRG4/82244

Required a little mind bending... please test it out and let us know.
October 29, 2023 02:08PM
This checker seems to work, but the output is a little messy. Would it be possible to clean up the output to only include the 5 qualifying caches, their regions, and favorite point count?

Thanks.
October 30, 2023 01:20AM
It's not really that easy.

The script is a generic one.... and combines many "pieces" together. This one for example, runs the 'points', which runs the 'foreach(region)', which then runs the 'favorite points' scripts. It's really useful, because it can be used in many different checkers, with different parameters. However, customizing the output for these unusual combinations isn't really that easy. In this case, if you want the output in a very specific format, you'd probably need a completely custom script. I can untag the challenge, and you can wait for somebody else to write that for you, although... you might wait a long time.
October 30, 2023 01:24AM
Leave the messy one tagged for now so i can publish it as is and I'll see about getting a new one written later. thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login