To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: GCAFTMM Big Sky conference challenge - 5 counties

[Resolved] GCAFTMM Big Sky conference challenge - 5 counties
October 30, 2023 08:46PM
Hello sir or madam.
The challenge for GCAFTMM is to find a geocache (or attend an event) in at least 5 of the Big Sky Conference counties. Here's a list of all the counties with a Big Sky conference school in them:
Coconino county AZ
Los Angeles county CA
Sacramento county CA
San Luis Obispo county CA
Yolo county CA
Weld county CO
Bannock county ID
Latah county ID
Gallatin county MO
Missoula county MO
Grand Forks county ND
Multnomah county OR
Iron county UT
Weber county UT
Spokane county WA

It doesn't matter what date your finds were hidden, what date you find them, what type they are, size, terrain, nor what difficulty. As long as between your finds you have at least 5 of the counties from the list, you are victorious and can log this as found after signing.
For the visual learners among you, here is a map showing the different counties as well as the dates they are/were in the conference. Remember, even if the county wasn't in the conference at the date you found your geocache, it is still valid. Anything since May 2000 counts.

There will be a series of challenges identical to this one and I understand there is a 'clone tag' function I should use after this one is built. Is that something I do, or should I still have it submitted to the checker request forum?

Thank you very much for your time and help!
Cheers,
CheekyBrit
October 30, 2023 09:43PM
Hello CheekyBrit,

You can use:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCAFTMM/82345

Please test it, and let me know if it is as requested or if it requires further modification.

Thanks,
Hügh
November 01, 2023 05:57PM
That is great. Hugh, thank you for building this. it worked for both positive and negative tests.
Thanks you for your time and help.
CheekyBrit
November 20, 2023 10:38PM
Hello Hügh. I'm sorry to do this, but I need a tweak made to this challenge checker. Fish fry and I had incomplete intel and there are 20 counties that should be on the list.

Would you please add to the list of counties that count for the 5 qualifying counties:
Hartford county CT,
Ada county ID,
Washoe county NV,
Broome county NY, and
Davis county UT.

That brings the total list of all qualifying counties to:
Coconino county AZ
Los Angeles county CA
Sacramento county CA
San Luis Obispo county CA
Yolo county CA
Weld county CO
Hartford county CT
Ada county ID
Bannock county ID
Latah county ID
Gallatin county MO
Missoula county MO
Grand Forks county ND
Washoe county NV
Broome county NY
Multnomah county OR
Iron county UT
Davis county UT
Weber county UT
Spokane county WA
November 21, 2023 10:22AM
The checker config is updated but Connecticut has no counties
Capitol Region COG (CT) is the region Hartford is situated in
November 21, 2023 10:25PM
Vogelbird, you legend. That works so well. Thank you for the new script.

Cheers,
CheekyBrit
November 21, 2023 05:22PM
Wow. I'm super impressed you knew that and even thought to check for that.
I knew they changed their state region system but when I pulled up an old and a new map I foolishly thought I had the newest. Upon further research, it seems like Connecticut has changed their boundaries on at least 5 occasions. What on earth?!?!

I tried the checker and it works a treat! Thank you for the help. I tried opening "view source" to understand what adjustment you made and I have absolutely no idea. I was expecting an easy list of "needed regions" but that is super more involved. Goodness gracious. And those crazy caches that are excluded all look pretty spicy.

It isn't necessary, and if you are ready to be done with this, then well done, but is is possible for the checker to list not just 5, but all of the counties in the list someone has completed?

Thank you for the adjustment.
Cheers,
CheekyBrit.
November 21, 2023 06:43PM
Q.: Is it possible for the checker to list not just 5, but all of the counties in the list someone has completed?

This script only allows the 5 area's to show

It is however possible with another script to build a checker which shows all the different area's where a cache was found

Please test this checker https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCAFTMM/83078
November 22, 2023 03:44AM
Vogelbird, you legend! The new checker works fantastically.
The test works for both positive and negative tests across a batch of 50+ people. The red and green numbers in the checker are accurate to the number of successful tests done, the links on checker page and cache page link to each other, the correct GC code is in place, and it runs pretty fast.

The updated full list of 20 counties is working like it should, including that pesky region in Connecticut. Better yet, the list comes out of the checker showing more than just 5, but all of the counties someone has found from the list. But wait, there's more, it's even alphabetized, with a link to an example geocache.

I've switched out the link to this checker for the old one on the cache page. This is now ready to be cloned across the Big Sky conference over the coming months.

Brilliant work. Thank you Vogelbird.
Cheers mate,
CheekyBrit
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login