To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Type / counties X 100 challenge GCAFTYM

[Resolved] Type / counties X 100 challenge GCAFTYM
November 20, 2023 06:33AM
Hello! Thanks for helping with this challenge checker for GCAFTYM

The challenge for GCAFTYM Your challenge is to find at least 200 combinations of geocache type and U.S. county. Qualifying finds can be hidden any date, be found any date, any difficulty or terrain, and be any size. Since lab caches and benchmarks do not count for this challenge, here are the types you have to work with: traditional, multi, unknown, event, earth, letterbox, whereigo, virtual, webcam, CITO, mega event, giga event, GPS maze, HQ, Project APE cache, community celbration event, Block party, HQ community celebration event, and locationless.

If possible, I am really hoping to have a grid output for the checker something like this:

If it helps, a similar checker is already built https://project-gc.com/Challenges//64576
I personally qualify for this challenge and so do 10 locals. The local reviewer, Ice&Wind has approved it.
Cheers mate,
CheekyBrit
November 20, 2023 09:53AM
Hi!
Here is your checker: https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCAFTYM/82976
Please test it and respond to confirm if everything is ok
November 20, 2023 06:37PM
Thank you Svarträv, this is excellent.
As far as functionality it ticks all the boxes. It performs for both positive and negative tests with the correct goal of 100. The link between cache page and checker page link to each other, the GC code is correct, and the green and red numbers reflect the correct number of successful and failed tests.

I really like the extra features you added, like the totals of each row and of each column. Having the counties in alphabetical order is also super nice. I hadn't even thought of that.
Wonderful work.
Cheers,
CheekyBrit
November 20, 2023 06:39PM
I don't know if this is going to be an issue, but it does run a little slower than any other checker i've used. Some of the the really big data sets for prolific cache finders like mondou2 couldn't finish running. He's the only one it didn't finish with. My concern would be causing too much traffic on the server. You would know if that is something we can ignore or not, it's above my head.

If that one issue looks ok with you then we should be good to add this to the archived and completed folder.
Thanks again.
November 20, 2023 07:17PM
As for mondou2 it finishes its run in 3 seconds and generates the log:

**mondou2** has found 19 cache types in 2765 counties, **5312** combinations in total out of **200** required.
As you can see he has 2765 counties, 19 cache types so the script tries to generate a result table with almost 60,000 fields which is simply too big number to fit in the designated space. For rare cases of people with such a tremendous amount of finds it will always be a problem for checkers to display the result and it's really nothing unusual. As long as it shows the correct result and doesn't reach the timeout (and even in this extreme case it fits within 5% of the time limit) you have nothing to worry about - even if the table itself wasn't generated.
November 20, 2023 08:00PM
To avoid such situations in the future I've introduced a minor modification to the checker script. For people with above 1000 collected counties visual version of the output won't be generated - only the text version with an icon will be provided. Trying to scroll through the 1000-rows-long array misses the point of having the visual representation anyway. After this modification, even for mondou2, the script runs within 2.2 seconds, and no error is displayed.
November 21, 2023 12:25AM
Fantastic. Thank you so much for your help with the checker. I'm glad my concern was nothing to worry about. We can triumphantly move this to the completed folder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login