To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: GCAHA49

[Resolved] GCAHA49
January 07, 2024 04:29PM
Hi guys hopefully you can answer my reviewers question, I am at a loss how to reply.

The Challenge.

In order to log a find you must simply !

Have traveled at least 100,000 nautical miles, or if you like 185, 200km cache to cache. see Simples. The Earth's circumference is 21,600 so get motoring!

The reviewers reply.

I have a query around the output of the checker on this one - it contains the line:

If a non-premium member uses the checker all premium caches will be excluded from the calculation because of licence issues

Is this just a line added on - and if so why?

Does the checker actually exclude the Premium finds of a Basic member?

Surely once the log is signed the find should count to Challenge qualification (normally & all other things being equal)?

As Geocaching allows Basic members to log finds on Premium caches I find this line strange and would need clarification around it before we go any further, thanks.
January 07, 2024 04:48PM
I always assumed that a basic member could only log caches which were visible for his account but I will ask the site admin if this is the case
January 07, 2024 05:19PM
Non premium can definitely log a premium cache, it's just more convoluted
January 07, 2024 05:46PM
Here are the facts:
* Basic members has always been able to log premium geocaches, except for a few weeks during autumn 2023 actually. But that was a bug. All one need is a link to the log page.
* Basic members can't view the cache description for premium geocaches.
** This cache description contains both the link to the log page, and the coordinates.

Since a basic member can't know the coordinates of a premium geocache, the challenge checker system does not return those to the challenge checker, if the one running the challenge checker is a basic member.

So if user A signs mentioned challenge, and is a basic member. Then runs the checker, coordinates for premium geocaches will be excluded by the checker. Which means it can't calculate cache to cache distance.
January 07, 2024 06:12PM
OK ty appreciate your time
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login