To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Checker request for GC2KAF5 Find a geocache every 5 mile interval up to 250 miles

Hi all,

Just came to mind that this Challenge does not have a Checker.

GC2KAF5 The Well Travelled Cacher Mini-Challenge (MA)

I just record my progress manually using concentric rings drawn in 5 mile interval up to 250 miles inside Google Earth Pro Mac desktop app.

Question:

Is it possible to create a Challenge Checker for GC2KAF5 The Well Travelled Cacher Mini-Challenge (MA)?

Can anyone create a Checker for me and all others?

Thanks in advance!

~ Dr.MORO
Profile for Dr.MORO:
http://coord.info/PR3FMKG
(Also Groundspeak/Geocaching HQ Official Volunteer Japanese Translator & iPhone App Beta-Tester)
Re: Checker request for GC2KAF5 Find a geocache every 5 mile interval up to 250 miles
January 20, 2024 08:15PM
Well, just found my answer in the Read First post here. :P

What a checker can not do
* The checkers does not have access to the user's home coordinates. Challenges are not allowed to be based upon them either, and haven't been allowed to for several years. This is a matter of integrity.

So NOPE, I guess.

My question would next be,
Is there a way to easily and automatically visualize the distance from a 'certain set of coordinates' to all your finds?

Creative suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks!

~ Dr.MORO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2024 08:16PM by Dr.MORO. (view changes)
January 20, 2024 11:35PM
Not within Project-GC. The checker system doesn't have any way to enter arbitrary coordinates for each user, so there would have to have separate configurations made for each user wanting to use it. And that would then expose those coordinates to anyone.

I would suggest looking into GSAK. That tool does (afaik) have the ability to use one's home coordinates (I think it might have to be manually configured by the user).
January 20, 2024 11:47PM
sumbloke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not within Project-GC. The checker system doesn't
> have any way to enter arbitrary coordinates for
> each user, so there would have to have separate
> configurations made for each user wanting to use
> it. And that would then expose those coordinates
> to anyone.
>
> I would suggest looking into GSAK. That tool does
> (afaik) have the ability to use one's home
> coordinates (I think it might have to be manually
> configured by the user).

Thanks!

I am a Mac and do not use GSAK (I know I can with emulation), so I will continue with my manual progress recording using Google Earth Pro desktop app and My Found PQ, and overlay concentric 5 mile interval rings up to 250 miles from my geocaching home coordinates, hiding sections I have found and exposing ring areas I need to find.
We suggest you look at the iCaching app for MacOS.
www.icaching.eu

We use it all the time for distance-related cache calculations.
January 21, 2024 02:31AM
Fluffy Bunnies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We suggest you look at the iCaching app for
> MacOS.
> www.icaching.eu
>
> We use it all the time for distance-related cache
> calculations.

Thanks for the friendly reminder!
Ahhh, yes, I do have iCache and also use it occasionally, just not all the time.
Since iCache does have geocacher's home location AND distance to geocache, I can manually confirm if I have found a geocache within a certain distance sector or not. Since I'm a metric system sympathizer, it is a hassle that I do need to change my geocaching.com's setting to Imperial units, yet doable.

Is there a way to automate iCache in identifying that I have or not have found a geocache, something like every 5 miles, and up to a certain distance?

Oops, I guess this should be asked to iCache developer. :P
January 31, 2024 10:46PM
Well, well, well...

What do we have here?

360 from home
https://project-gc.com/Tools/360home

Is this not using the users' home coordinates?

I guess we cannot have a Challenge Checker, but CAN have a 'Tool' in Project-GC instead?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login